Although very beautiful, many flowers and plants are very toxic to our pets. In support of Animal Poison Prevention Week, we are posting this list of the most common poisonous plants to pets. Knowledge is power, and after reading this you will be better prepared to keep your beloved pets safe from danger. Always better to be safe than sorry.
Autumn Crocus (Colchicum)
Its active ingredient, colchicines, triggers an anti-metabolic effect that can cause rapidly dividing cells, shedding of the gastrointestinal tract, bloody diarrhea, and vomiting.
Members of the Rhododendron spp. contain substances known as grayantoxins, which can produce vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning could ultimately lead to coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.
The poisonous principle in Ricinus communis is ricin, a highly toxic protein that can produce severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite. Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death.
Cylamen species contain cyclamine, but the highest concentration of this toxic component is typically located in the root portion of the plant. If consumed, Cylamen can produce significant gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting. Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.
This popular plant can cause severe vomiting, bloody diarrhea, depression, and tremors.
Japanese Yew (Taxis)
Extremely toxic to dogs, this group of ornamental plants can cause seizures, trembling, in-coordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac failure, which can result in death. The plant and red berries are toxic.
This plant contains components that can produce gastrointestinal irritation, as well as those that are toxic to the heart, and can seriously affect cardiac rhythm and rate.
Members of the Lilium spp. are considered to be highly toxic to cats. While the poisonous component has not yet been identified, it is clear that with even ingestions of very small amounts of the plant, severe kidney damage could result.
Lily of the Valley (Convalaria)
This plant can cause heart failure, coordination problems, and vomiting in dogs.
Ingestion of Cannabis sativa by companion animals can result in depression of the central nervous system and in-coordination, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma.
Mushrooms Keep your dog away from any mushrooms. Always assume any ingested mushroom by a dog is toxic and will cause liver failure. The problem is that many poisonous mushrooms often grow together with non-poisonous mushrooms.
All parts of Nerium oleander are considered to be extremely toxic, as they contain cardiac glycosides that harm the heart, decrease body temperature, cause abnormal pulse rate, and even death. Beware: Even people have died from eating hot dogs roasted on an oleander twig.
Although the stalks are used to make pies, the leaves pack the potential to cause kidney damage.
Sago Palm (Cycads)
Resembling an upside down pineapple, all parts of the Cycas Revoluta are poisonous, but the seeds or "nuts" contain the largest amount of toxin. The ingestion of just one or two seeds can result in very serious effects, which include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures, liver failure, and death to a dog. This plant thrives in sandy soils, especially in warmer states such as California, Texas, and Florida.
Surprisingly, the greenery of this common plant, not the tomato itself, contains solanine, a toxic ingredient that can prompt gastric upset, depression, weakness, and a decrease in heart rate.
Tulip/Daffodil (Narcissus) bulbs
The bulb portions of Tulipa/Narcissus spp. contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, depression of the central nervous system, convulsions, tremors, lethargy, weakness, upset stomachs. and cardiac abnormalities.
For an extensive list see this link >>> http://www.doberdogs.com/Toxic.html . Although a bit daunting, once you look at it a bit, you will see that it reads left-to-right. Find the plant on the left, and follow to the columns right of it to read info on that plant.