Pee-eww ... Skunk spray your doggies?
Try this home remedy for deskunking:
- 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 teaspoon dish detergent
In an open bucket or bowl mix the above ingredients. Wet your dog down with lukewarm water, rubbing the mixture into his coat. Avoid eyes, noses, and mouth. Cover dogs eyes with clean wash cloth to avoid getting mixture in their eyes. If skunk sprayed dog on face, carefully apply mixture using a wash cloth. Leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. Repeat, if necessary.
Wash the sprayed area only - to avoid spreading the skunk oil all over your dog's body ... save over-all bath for third washing.
WARNING >>> Discard left-over mixture ... it becomes combustible when stored.
- Leave your dog outside until you can bathe him ... you do not want the skunk oil on your carpets, furniture, dog beds, etc.
- Wear old clothes when bathing your dog ... and wear latex gloves!
- If your dog is long-haired, you may be able to trim away some of the affected hair.
- Use paper towels (instead of cloth towels) to blot excess skunk oil, before bathing.
- Bath your doggie ASAP ... before skunk spray dries, if possible.
- Make sure to check to see if your dog was injured by the skunk. If your dog is bleeding or appears to have been bitten, consult a vet immediately. Skunks may carry rabies.
- Check dogs eyes ... if red and watering, call vet.
~ What have you found to work best on removing skunk oil from your furry friend?